Although Thanksgiving is not really a Filipino holiday, I think it’s a good practice to remember what we’re grateful for. Indulge me as I give thanks for what I am thankful for.
1) Love – It’s a rare commodity, and when you get in in spades, you thank your lucky stars. From the love I get from the love of my life, to love from family, friends, listeners, and whoever else, it’s the fuel which feeds my fire. For love in whatever form, I am always eternally grateful.
2) My babies – All my companion animals, especially our bunso Siam, who almost became the one animal that I gave up on. And it turns out he’s my most unforgettable pet ever. I’m so glad I didn’t give him up, so happy that I didn’t give up on him.
3) Our radio career – After all these years, we’re still here. That alone is something to thank the highest heavens for. I must admit, some days I wake up feeling like work is a prison sentence, something I need to do more than something that I love to do. But those days are far outnumbered by days when I remember how wicked lucky I’ve been to have been blessed by a job that I truly enjoy.
4) Our listeners – We can’t thank enough the people who wake up early everyday just to join the show, or for most just to listen, the previous entry wouldn’t even exist without you guys who stand as the show’s backbone. The support and patience seem unlimited from where we stand. The ones who support Delle and I, the ones who support ChiChi And GiGi, and even those who still support even if I’m all alone. For that, thank you.
5) The Golden Dove – It’s nice to be awarded for something you really worked hard for. It doesn’t really mean we’re the best radio comedy program, but at least for a group of people who got together and decided to give this honor, we are. It’s an honor we humbly accept but immensely enjoy.
6) Strange Fruit – It may sound odd to be thankful for my blog, but this medium of expression has been a lifeline for me at many points during its existence. Some days, just tapping away at the keyboard kept me sane in an increasingly maddening world. I’m thankful I have this venue to share, opine, rant, or whatever else I feel like expressing at any point in my life.
7) Getting rid of our yaya – It may sound funny, but firing our yaya of 15 years has been the best decision we’ve made in a LOOONG time. We’ve been held hostage in our own home by our household help. When she was finally gone, it was as if a dark veil was lifted from our household. I wish her well, but I’m glad she’s no longer part of our lives.
8) Our travels – Literally, I work to be able to travel. Of all the luxuries in life, I indulge most in travel. It’s the balm that soothes my bedraggled soul. If I didn’t travel, I’d have gone off the deep end a long time ago and probably would be locked up in some asylum playing with my drool. My world gets a little bigger each time I see a new place, a spot under the sun I haven’t been to before. It enriches not just my experience, but my very soul.
9) Pet Hotel and Pocket Frogs – These virtual animals have been my constant companion this past year. Some days, when I want to shut out the various “noises” in my life, I just take refuge in the company of my digital friends.
10) Since I’ve experienced some major losses this year as well, I am grateful for everything that has NOT been taken away from me. We cannot control what happens to us. Death, break-ups, accidents, some things hit us like a rampaging stray bullet. Some things we have control over, but most we concede to destiny. So instead of mourning what I have lost, I’d rather be thankful for what I have left. Like the saying goes, a glass that’s half-empty is still half-full.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!