All my life I always thought I was a dog person. It was the only logical conclusion since I hated, no, make that I abhorred cats! The cat was always the common enemy of my then pets. I had dogs, I had birds, and I had fish. What’s the common enemy? Cats! I hated how cats looked at me with their beady eyes, I hated how they slinked around stealthily like guilty criminals, I hated the smell of their poop, I hated the sex moans they make when they’re mating on the hot tin roof, and I always felt like every part of them was sharp, that I’d end up with bites or scratches if ever I handled them. They always seem to have this impish, evil menace about them. I used to kick sleeping cats or ipit them between the gate and the wall, as I gleefully listened to the crunching of their bones or internal organs or something. I know, I know, this doesn’t sound like the stories of a self-professed animal lover. But what’s important is that I’ve seen the error of my ways. My persecution of the feline species ended when we hosted Garfield’s 50th anniversary where one part of the program was a real live cat show. It was my Road to Damascus. It was the first time I saw cats who were great companion animals, friendly, sociable, and outright cuddly. One thing led to another, I ended up buying a cat, then another, then rescued a third. Then I changed my tune. I started telling people that I mistakenly thought I was a dog person, but in fact I’m a cat person inside, through and through. I started to extol the endless virtues of cats and their sublime catness (catnitity?). Then, I got my adorable chihuahua Nairobi. Suffice it to say, I vacillated once again and swung over to the dog side. So now I relinquish my hetero-pet-uality, and declare myself a bi-pet-ual. I have to swing both ways. I just can’t choose.
Reasons why dogs are better:
- They’re loyal.
- They come to you when you call them. Cats love to ignore you.
- They can’t get enough of you. Cats will play with you IF they feel like it.
- You can take them for walks.
- They like people. Cats are naturally suspicious.
Reasons why cats are better:
- They only poop and pee in their litter box. Dogs will poop in your mouth if it were convenient.
- They’re independent.
- They clean themselves. I had a Lab that loved rolling in his own poop.
- You can leave them and they won’t get needy and paranoid like dogs.
- They only eat what they need. They don’t eat till they explode like dogs.
What about you? Which do you prefer, cats or dogs?